Hale Library Will Remain Closed Until Further Notice. For future updates see k-state.edu/update
Due to the Fire, K-State Libraries' Access to Databases Has Been Temporarily Interrupted
Library staff are asked to communicate with supervisors and employees via phone and text until full email access is restored
Books and Literary Criticism
This page provides guidance for searching for books about literary criticism.
Books can seem intimidating due to their length. However, you may find that you only need to read a chapter or two from a book.
- Use Search It to find books owned by K-State Libraries.
- Use the database WorldCat to find books owned by libraries around the world. If they are not rare, we can usually request a copy from another library for you through Interlibrary Loan.
- Use broad search terms like the author, title of the work, or genre.
- Search It and WorldCat only search for keywords in fields like: Author, Title, Subject, Abstract and (sometimes) Table of Contents.
- When you find a relevant book, use the Subject Headings to find more books like that one.
- When you find a relevant book, look at the books shelved next to it—they should be on the same or similar topic.
Searching for Items on a Topic in Search It
Use K-State Libraries Only option to search for books, videos, and other items owned by K-State Libraries.
Enter keywords to search for items on a topic.
Search It shows if an item is available and where it is shelved.
1. Enter keywords in Search It's search box.
2. Click K-State Libraries only option to search for items owned by K-State Libraries.
3. Item record shows if an item is available and where it is shelved.
4. Virtual Browse shows items shelved nearby the item you found. They have similar call numbers, so will usually be about a similar topic.
Searching for a Specific Title in Search It
Use Search It to search for specific titles in K-State Libraries.
Enter title in the Search It search box.
Signing in to Your Library Account
Signing in allows you to:
- See check-out periods for K-State Libraries' physical items.
- See a list of physical items you currently have checked out from K-State Libraries.
- Renew items you have checked out from K-State Libraries.
- Save results to your e-Shelf.
- Save search queries so you can re-run them at a later time.
- Add tags and reviews.
- Maximize the amount of content visible in your search results.
Click "Sign in" in the top right corner of the screen and enter your K-State eID and password.
Saving to Your e-Shelf in Search It
Save items to your e-Shelf by clicking on the star next to an item.
To access the e-Shelf, sign into Search It and click the e-Shelf link.
Within the e-Shelf, you can organize, print, and e-mail any saved search results. You can also export them to citation management programs like RefWorks - check our guide on Citations and Bibliographies.