Find Books and Book Chapters
Search for books at K-State Libraries and those at other libraries simultaneously. WorldCat can help you to determine if your topic is mentioned within a book. Many records include the table of contents.
We highly recommend the WorldCat Advanced Search option (see image below).
- If we have the title at K-State, you can retrieve the call number from Search It:
- open Search It Advanced
- select the K-State Libraries Only tab
- change Any to in the title
- type in the title of the book
- beside Material type select Books
- and click on Search
- If we do not have the title at K-State, use the Get It button and select Not Available? Request from Interlibrary Loan to place an Interlibrary Loan request.
If K-State Libraries owns a copy of a book, this will be indicated in WorldCat with a "K-State Libraries" icon below the title:
Use Search It to get the call number and location in our libraries:
The call number will be displayed next to the library location:
Search It Tips
Using Search It Advanced:
- K-State Libraries Only: Selecting this tab limits your search to what we have available locally.
- Use quotation marks when searching for names or phrases.
- Use AND to limit your search: Try entering 2 or 3 search terms (ex. "Steven Holl" AND biography).
- When you find a relevant title, use the information under Details to help you find different, perhaps more accurate search terms.
- As author/creator: Search for a designer by last name for a list of titles with that designer as the primary subject.
- In subject: subjects (or, subject headings) are simple tags used to categorize materials. Search for a designer, a particular brand, company or house of design. This will generate a list of subject headings that relate specifically to that topic. This also works with movements in design (ex. Art Nouveau, Bauhaus, Minimalism, or Modernism).
Sample list of subject headings:
- Chapel of St. Ignatius (Seattle, Wash.)
- Holl, Steven, 1947—
- Seattle (Wash.) — Buildings, structures, etc
- Seattle (Wash.) — Saint Ignatius Chapel
- St. Ignatius Chapel (Seattle, Wash.)
When you have your call numbers ready, use the Hale Library Stacks Guide or the Weigel Library Stacks Guide to locate the item on the shelf.