Artstor is a digital image library of collections contributed by museums, associations, libraries, and archives. Files can be saved and downloaded for educational purposes.
The first time you use Artstor, you need to create an account. To download images, use your Artstor work folder, and create image groups, you must be logged into your Artstor account. Also, make sure your pop-up blocker is turned off. Artstor uses pop up windows.
Register with Artstor
- Access Artstor using the link below.
- Note: If accessing Artstor from off campus, you will first need to sign in with your K-State eID and password to authenticate you as a current K-Stater.
- On the Artstor main page, the option to Register is located in the top right corner.
- Utilize your K-State email address to create your Artstor account.
Artstor Paid for by K-State Libraries system requirements permitted uses
A growing digital image library offering searchable collections of images and descriptive information, encompassing many time periods and world cultures. Includes objects relevant to fields such as architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, design, anthropology, history, ethnographic, and women’s studies; and addresses many other forms of visual culture. Best viewed in Internet Explorer. Enable browser pop-ups in order to use all the features of Artstor.
On the left side of the Artstor search screen, you will see options for keyword searching and for browsing.
Browsing is presented as a series of drop-down menus and options include by classification, collection, or geography.
Try typing an artist's name or style of art into the search box
The advanced search offers greater flexibility—if you do not see this option, click on the Artstor logo (top left) to return to the main search screen. Below Search you will see the Advanced Search option.
- Especially when keyword searching, you may wish to modify your search in the top right corner of the results page
- You can return to the Artstor search page by clicking on the Artstor icon (top left)
- To view your search history, select the arrow next to History (top left)
Viewing and Downloading Images
To download images from Artstor, you must be logged into your Artstor account.
- Double click on an image to view it (this will open in a pop-up window).
- The zoom feature is the default. You can use this to create your own detail of an image.
- The download feature will save the current view.
- When you download an image you will receive two files (the image and the description).
- Be sure to wait until the download is complete; it can take a few seconds.
Downloading or exporting are the best ways to get high-resolution versions of images to print.