Hale Library FAQ

Operations, services, and information about the Libraries during fire recovery.

Library Research Guide


As you prepare to teach your classes, we wanted to let you know about the availability of library services after the fire.

We do NOT anticipate that we will have access to the Hale building or most of the physical collections during the 2018/2019 school year. Course reserves will be an exception - please see the reserves section below for more details.

Our branch libraries in Regnier Hall (Weigel), Cardwell (Math/Physics), and Vet Med are operating normally.

Your librarians will be happy to work with you to find alternate solutions. This page will provide you with some additional information specific to your instructional needs.


Librarians will still be able to provide instruction for your classes on information literacy and using library resources for research, copyright, and scholarly publishing.

We will not be able to use any of the physical library collections for these classes. We will not have a library classroom for these classes. We may have access to some technology labs on campus, but it would be best if you are able to provide a classroom location with the necessary equipment.

We should have access to all of our databases and online materials, and Interlibrary Loan is functioning and able to get requested items. Students will need to be aware that they may need to allot extra time to receive these requests.

Request a class by contacting your librarian via email or using this form:


More specific information about Special Collections instruction is located on the Special Collections tab on the left

Research Consultations

Librarians will still be providing research assistance by email, phone, IM chat, and in person. We are staffing a help desk at the K-State Union for walk-in assistance. (hours)

Students and faculty can make research appointments with librarians as always by contacting them directly or using this form: https://www.lib.k-state.edu/form/research-assistance

Our librarians will be temporarily housed in several different buildings around campus and will be able to meet with researchers in those locations or online via Zoom teleconferencing.

Reserves and Research Materials Requests

In the fall, reserve materials that had been at Hale Library will be available at the Library Help desk at the Union (First Floor, Welcome Desk). Current periodicals are available in the Math/Physics library in Cardwell 105. 

We will do our best to obtain materials that you need for reserves. For any course reserves or research materials purchase requests, please contact content development librarians Casey Hoeve [achoeve@ksu.edu] (Arts, Architecture and the Humanities), Tim Watts [twatts@ksu.edu] (Social Sciences), and Jo Crawford (jocraw@ksu.edu] (Sciences).

For immediate research needs, use interlibrary loan to request materials.

Please provide requests as soon as possible so they are able to be purchased and processed for the fall semester.

Center for the Advancement of Digital Scholarship (CADS)

Copyright Consultation

Email us at copyright@ksu.edu to inquire about presenting to your class. For individuals with copyright and fair use questions, submit the consultation form with your questions and/or schedule a meeting with us: http://www.k-state.edu/copyright/use/consultation-new.html

Data Management

Librarians from CADS are available to help answer your data and data management questions. Email us at cads@ksu.edu.

K-State Research Exchange (K-REx)

CADS can provide information sessions on K-REx, http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/, and how to share scholarly work online to faculty and graduate students. We cover aspects of open access, author(s)’ rights, repositories, academic social networks and tools to help discover journals which match your area. Email us at cads@ksu.edu.

New Prairie Press (NPP)

K-State’s open access publishing platform, NPP - http://newprairiepress.org - hosts journals, conference proceedings, and scholarly monographs by editors, conference administrators/planners, and authors affiliated with K-State. Contact us at cads@ksu.edu for information about publishing with us.