Library Research Guide
When a resource is available online through Search It, it will either have the status of "Available Online" below the title of the resource, or a direct link to the resource (typically as a PDF). For some periodicals (journals, newspapers, etc.), the issue contents are also directly linked so you can easily explore the other items published in that specific issue.
If you do not see a direct access option, you can click the "Available Online" link and you should be directed to the resource (in rare instances, you may be taken to an intermediate page).
Alternatively, you can click the title of the item to be directed to a details page. On the details page, you will see options for saving, sending, printing, etc.
Bibliographical information about the item will also be listed.
When a physical resource is owned by K-State Libraries and is not currently checked out, below the title of the resource there will the words "Located at" followed by the location and call number. Clicking this call number will open the item record to the "Find it at the Library" section which has more information, e.g., information about multiple copies of a book, loan periods, etc.
Due to the May 2018 fire in Hale Library, many of our physical items are unavailable and have this status.
If you would like to use that item, you can request a copy via interlibrary loan. The easiest way to do so is to click on the title of the item, then click on the "Not available? Request from interlibrary loan" option. This will take you to our interlibrary loan platform, ILLiad, and will auto-populate some of the request form for you. Visit our interlibrary loan FAQ for more information.
To request retrieval of a library-owned item, follow the directions below:
1. Search for the item in Search It
2. Once you have located the item, sign into your account by clicking "Sign In" in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
3. Once you're logged in, click on the item's title, which will take you to the "Find it at the Library" section. Then you can click "Request Retrieval"
4. Fill out the request information and click "Request Retrieval."
5. This is not a recall process, so if the item is checked out, it will not be retrieved for you until the current loan has ended. Please note that retrievals will take approximately 1 business day to process, though items from the Annex Off-site may take up to a week. When the item is ready to pick-up, you will receive a notification email.
Interlibrary Loan Requests
When a physical resource is owned by K-State Libraries but is currently checked out or unavailable due to the fire in Hale Library, the status below the title of the the resource will either say "checked out" or "items not available due to Hale fire." If you click on the status, the item record will open to the "Find it at the Library" section.
From "Find it at the Library" section, you can place a retrieval request (for when an item has been returned) or request a copy through interlibrary loan.