Installing and customizing Zotero
Step 1: Install Zotero 5.0 (also known as Zotero stand-alone)
- Open https://www.zotero.org/download
- Download and install Zotero 5.0 on each computer you regularly use. (You do not have to install on all computers at the same time), The installation automatically includes the toolbar for Word.
- Install the Zotero Connector for each browser you use:
- PCs - Chrome, Firefox, Safari
- Macs - Safari, Chrome, Firefox
- NOTE: For other browsers, check out their bookmarklet.
Step 2: Register at zotero.org to allow syncing among multiple computers.
- Open https://www.zotero.org/user/register and complete the form. You can use any email address with Zotero.
- Check your email to verify your account.
- Note: When using Zotero 5.0 on a public computer be sure to sign in and out of your account in Edit/Zotero >> Preferences >> Sync.
Step 3: Customize Zotero 5.0 using Preferences
- Open Zotero on your computer (red Z on Desktop or Dock)
- Open Preferences by clicking Edit >> Preferences or Zotero >> Preferences
- Sync: Enter your Zotero username and password; choose whether attachments should be synced (you have 300MB of free cloud storage, about 100 PDFs)
Step 4: Customize Zotero Connector
- Open Preferences by right clicking the Zotero Connector in your browser >> Preferences (or options on Chrome)
- General: select options for saving to Zotero
- Proxies: add a configured proxy for %h.er.lib.k-state.edu/%p
- Advanced: if you are using Google Docs select "Enable Google Docs Integration"
For instructions with images or video, use Zotero's support pages below:
Instructions for installing or upgrading Zotero for PC, Mac, and Linux users.
Quick Start Guide
Read on for an overview of Zotero's features and capabilities.
Zotero 5-Part Series
These five videos, created at Idaho State University Libraries, offer a foundation on using Zotero.
This hour-long recording of a webinar from Walden University Libraries provides an extensive introduction to Zotero.
Guide for K-State instructors to share with first-time Zotero users
Zotero has created clear step-by-step troubleshooting pages for these common issues:
If your problem isn't listed in the links above, browse the Zotero Knowledge Base or search the Zotero Forums:
Find troubleshooting help on this discussion forum. Try searching for your issue first to see if a solution is already available. If not, post your question.
Zotero Knowledge Base
Get advanced guidance on using Zotero.
Using Zotero for academic writing