Library Research Guide
This page will provide some strategies for keyword selection. Once you've identified your topic, it will be necessary to break down concepts within the topic into keywords that can be used to search for sources.
• Good keywords are essential to quality research.
• The more keywords you can think of, it is more likely you will find what you are looking for.
Synonyms make your list of keywords longer. More keywords = better searching = more results. Look at the example below to get an idea of how synonyms can broaden your understanding of a given concept.
Synonyms: Temperament, Demeanor, Conduct, Bearing, Etiquette, Comportment, Conduct, Attitude, etc...
• Make lists of keywords for the main concepts of your research topic.
• Use single words or simple phrases.
• Be prepared that this may all change as you learn more information through your research.
• Be flexible and be adaptable in your thinking.
• Use a thesaurus to help generate synonyms.